Our Client is looking for a new Port Manager to lead the London Operation. In this role, you get the unique opportunity to grow the business, taking on responsibility for planning, directing and leading all activities within our London operation. You will use your expertise to collaborate with specialist functional teams to achieve alignment with organisational objectives.
Our client is a towage company, which means we help our customers maneuver their larger ships safely and timely in and out of port. You may have heard about the large container ship stuck in the Suez Canal – our tug boats in the region played an active role in supporting the mission of freeing the large container ship from its dire straits and we helped unlock the gridlock that global trade was experiencing due to the incident. I look forward to sharing more about what we do locally and our important role in keeping the world supply of goods flowing.
In this role, you will get ample opportunity to take charge, build your expertise and develop. In our London operation (approx. 80 pax crew and shoreside) we work closely together and occasionally need to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. Being the frontline of the business, it is imperative we manage the day-to-day business, while keeping focus of the strategic journey we are on. Towage is a highly competitive and challenging market, in this role it is important you build and maintain strong relationships with all internal and external stakeholders, whilst positively engaging the workforce within your operation and driving positive industrial relations outcomes. Passionate both about our teams and the business we are looking for someone who appreciates succinct and open communication, who would be structured and collaborative in their way of engaging with the team and across functions in the company
You will report directly to me and become a valued member of the Management Team. We all work closely to share ideas and innovation, whilst encouraging continual improvement within our local operations.
You will be based out of our offices at Denton Wharf, Gravesend, UK. The benefit of this location is some of our Tugs berth just outside the offices, enabling that synergy between shore and sea. At present our operation in London is responsible 10 tugs, actively operating all along the rivers Thames and Medway.
Some ad-hoc travel may be required once the world allows.
You will play an important role as Port Manager, your main responsibilities will be:
Financial – P+L Responsibility
• Prepare budgets and financial plans for the port, in conjunction with Cluster MD.
• Monitor and control the port operating budget to ensure that all resources are deployed effectively and that the port is running at optimal operational efficiency.
• Report back on a regularly on the ports performance to key stakeholders.
Operations – Leading our Growing London Business
• To manage all activities in the port entity as a profit centre.
• To protect all assets and ensuring they are properly maintained.
• To seek continual improvements in service to our customers.
• Manage the relationship with the Port Authority, other statutory bodies and community groups.
• Build and nurture relationships with local customers to derive maximum value from the business relationship.
• Work with Marine standards to promote safe operations, quality assurance and security of the business.
• Implement security plans for the port to ensure the protection of people and assets.
Safety – Always first
• Proactively support our commitment to safety, ensuring that all operations are risk assessed, adequately resourced and all appropriate procedures as defined in HMS are completed i.e Permits and licences are in place.
• Ensure compliance with all health, safety and environmental regulatory demands.
• Manage and be accountable for the deployment of the requirements of the HMS system in the port.
• Ensure, in liaison with Marine Standards, all accidents are fully investigated and incident reports prepared.
People – Developing the Team
• Manage and be accountable for all daily activities of shoreside and crews within the operation
• Performance Management
• Work with the HR to recruit people with the relevant skills, qualifications and attributes for the business.
• Manage the relationship with the local union branch, holding regular consultation meetings and resolving any disputes that may arise with support from HR.
• Have a good understanding of HR policies and processes.
• Drive employee engagement through effective day to day management of our people and ensuring that people are kept informed of what is happening in the business.
Commercial – Growing the Customer Base
• Implementing business strategy to maximise profitability within your operation.
• Assist the Cluster MD and Commercial Team in business development/ sales activities, including the preparation of commercial/ Business development tenders
• Being aware of commercial activities and competitors within your region.
• Providing innovative solutions to complex commercial matters.
Customer Service – Going above and beyond
• Ensuring that all customer expectations and SLA’s are met.
• Building and maintaining strong, transparent relationships
• Educated to degree level or equivalent.
• Previous management experience within a commercial business.
• Experience of working with and managing budgets.
• Understanding how to drive engagement and culture.
• PNL ownership and successful past deliveries in similar environment, would be advantageous.
• Thorough understanding of health and safety, experience of Marine Standards i.e. ISM, would be advantageous.
• A Marine qualification and previous marine/maritime experience, would be advantageous.
• Excellent Leadership Skills and influencing skills.
• Ability to think strategically.
• Capability to work with complex problems and under pressure.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Management capabilities – prioritising and planning work to be executed.
• Strong team working skills
• Ability to drive and travel internationally, if required.
Jobs in Maritime recognises that it is essential to provide equal opportunities to all persons without discrimination.
We will not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, marital status, disability, age, health, employment status, sexual orientation or religion.